Saturday, May 14, 2011

Alone Time and Insecurities

May 14, 2011

Devin left me for 1hr and 45mins yesterday.  I felt a insecure :(
When Devin reviewed the video it could be seen that I was stress panting and crying at
5, 11, 20 minutes after being left alone.  I did eventually settle down, but I was still stress panting on and off.

Devin felt terrible after seeing this. Maybe today I'll be left alone off and on for a few minutes just to show me that Devin will come back.  It's scary at times. This is the first time in my whole entire life I've been left alone. I've always had someone with me.

On the sleep front, Devin had me sleep in the "Master" bedroom. 
When it was time for bed last night, I self crated. Devin left my door open and went into the bed room. I went looking for Devin.  I was called into the bedroom, it didn't take me long to find that big comfy dog bed Devin picked up for me. I plunked myself down for the night.

Devin first left the bedroom door open, not sure how i'd react to be closed in a new space.
I was also given a nightlight. Sometimes the dark can be a scary place for me; Being a sight hound and all I like to see what's going on around me.

After a few moments Devin closed the bedroom door and switched the nightlight down lower.
I had a wonderful sleep!   Devin, not so much - but maybe tonight.

***here is the post Devin left at the gra forum under the training section*** The people there have been a real help - Devin talks about my alone training yesterday****


Hi Kara, thanks for your reply :)
Alone Training today was a bit stressful for Milo.

1) this morning i went to run down the hall to put my recycling in the bins. I didn't close his crate door. When i came back he had a good pant on. I think i stressed him out by leaving him alone with the door open. I don't think i was gone more than 3mins.

2) I went to leave the apartment to start another alone session with him. Lucy (the grey down the hall) was going for a walk when i left my apt. I was asked if milo was coming for a walk, i told her we were working on alone time right now; but i'd go for the quick walk with her. I ended up going back into my apt to put on proper shoes. I think that may have caused some disturbance.

I walked with her then went over to my mum's house for a visit (trying to kill time). I was gone a total of 1hr 45mins (according to the video footage).

Poor Milo started to cry and was panting something fierce. It happened at 10mins 15 mins and i think maybe at the 20min mark. He did eventually calmed down.

When i came home i ignored him - he stood up in his crate. then then laid down but was alert with this ears forward and watching my every move.

I took him out for a pee and he was still panting away.
brought him back inside. told him to kennel up and gave him a few pieces of kibble (trying to make sure he associates his crate still with good things).

STILL panting - i'm not sure if he's stressed or hot. The apartment doesn't feel overly hot to me. I took a towel and soaked it will cool water, and rubbed him down with it. i placed the floor fan on. he's now in his crate sleeping like a baby. I still don't know if it's because he was hot, or stress panting. I did note before i left earlier today that he was kind of panting while laying down, and doing the cheek puff out thing.

AND to add one more thing, I don't find he drinks a lot.

lol sorry for sounding like a nervous parent.
I need to keep reminding myself he's only been with me for 3 days now.

I know its best to keep a schedule for them. I do work shift work (mum will be helping me out when i work); the most days i work in a row is 3 and that is every second week. Otherwise it's just 2 days in a row then off for two.

I kind of wanted to get him used to my schedule. I don't know if that's possible. Then again there really won't be a need for that because my mum will be helping out.

Oh the trials of being a single first time parent..lol


********



Okay, almost time to go for my morning walk.

PeAcE

No comments:

Post a Comment